Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Feminism Rant

I've been noticing a lot of articles online that report sightings of women who claim to be "anti-feminists"; even some celebrities have come out of the "anti-femism" closet, the latest being Shailine Wooley. These articles are bashing on these women who have proclaimed "anti-femism" saying that if they truly understood what feminism was, they would be jumping on the ever posh feminism band wagon. 

I do agree that the majority of people misunderstand feminism. As I understand it, feminism is the promotion of social and economic equality of all sexes. Feminists do not think that men should have less power, they just believe that women should have equal amount of power as men. 

In my opinion, the reason that people misunderstand feminism because the "bra-burning" and "man-hating" women who call themselves feminists are the most radical and the loudest. The same thing goes with religion, people hate religion because radical religious people are overzealous and loud. The public does not respond well to radical behavior, especially when they are not familiar with the subject. 

And another thing, so what if people don't want to be feminists? Big deal. I don't understand why people can't just respect different opinions. Like, just because they don't agree with you, they're wrong? No! That is not logical. Sometimes the idea of right and wrong just don't exist. 

I think feminism is a good thing, I'm not trying to say that it's not. I'm saying that it's misunderstood. Bra-burning was popular in the seventies because women weren't being heard, so they had to become extreme in order to be heard and it made sense at the time. Women are being heard today just fine, I think. But I think feminists today feel like they have to come out guns a blazin' because that's how they think they will be heard. 

I'm not writing the rules on how people should act and think and how they shouldn't, I'm just trying to voice an opinion on a very hot topic right now. Which brings me to another point; our generation has an adorable tendency to fight for things, we try to become as passionate as we can about as many political and social problems that we can. Maybe it's just my age. But feminism has become popular for that reason; and I think that's the wrong reason. Gay marriage shouldn't be supported because it's "in" right now, and you shouldn't be a feminist because its a hip thing to talk about at coffee shops. I don't think that's right. Why would you support something that you don't understand? That means nothing. 

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." Jane Eyre


-Abbie

photo cred 1 2

No comments:

Post a Comment