Monday, December 17, 2012

Starting a blog!

I have been wanting to do something like this for a very long time.

It all started with pinterest, as most internet habits seem to. I found a study tips pin, and clicked to read the actual site (which I love doing, because I simply CANNOT pin something without reading it first.) The pin sent me to a blog called College Prep, where this brilliantly organized post college grad inspired me to have better study habits and get more things done.

I love reading other people blogs, it's like sitting down and having a coffee chat with someone you have never even met and feeling like you have known the your entire life. I like what people can come up with, ways to save money, loose weight, appreciate art, organize and craft. It inspires me to come up with better ideas and keeps my brain thinking; and by extension, life more exciting.

Suddenly, it hit me! If i like reading other peoples blogs so much, maybe I should start my own.

There are a number of reasons why I should do this:
1. Blogging will cause self-discovery: You cannot realize who you are without realize your emotion and really reflecting on your life and what is happening in your life. Writing a blog will cause me to stop and smell the roses, really appreciate things for a while.

photo courtesy of Kelton Berrett 


2. Blog posts will inspire creativity: I'm an architecture major, and I love school, my classes, projects, and everything. But, there are so many other things I love to do that are just around the topic of architecture. I love photography and this summer my boyfriend bought me a canon rebel t2 and I've been hooked ever since. I love photoshop, illustrator, basically all of adobe creative suite. More reasons to use these things the better.
 A butterfly on my watercolor palette, in Rome, Italy. (pretty inspiring moment)

3. I'm an artist. Well, more of a student of art, I'm sketching 75% of the time. I like to draw what I see and what I don't see. Things that are real and things that are not. A blog would give me a reason to sketch and show what I sketch, and probably throughout time see my improvements. This summer I took a sketching class in Rome, Italy. You take photograph things, and look at them again, but with sketching you can remember and study, and write and remember the experience in a much more detailed way.
A diagram I made of Barcelona's Urban Fabric

4. I am a morning person: my roommate, sister, boyfriend, best friends, ARE NOT. Every morning I wake up before the sun and wander around my apartment with nothing to do. It's sad really, but I started taking this time in the morning to read blogs, organize my life, spend time with my heavenly father, and I must say, It really has been good for me.

5. I'm a terrible writer, but I feel the need to express myself through written word. I'm an architecture major and I think writing well is one of the most important skills a person can have. People read what you write, and understand you. We live in a world of facebook updates, instagrams, and tweets;  I wanted to say more eloquently feelings that take up more space than 140 words. I also just want to become better at writing, more confident that I can express myself and use spelling, grammar, and punctuation correctly. 

6. I'm an architecture major, but I'm interested in so many other things, illustrations, graphic design, photography. Maybe I can meet other people in the business through this blog.
A site analysis diagram I made this last semester

In short, I'm making this blog because I feel the need to express myself. Writing things down helps me to reflect on things, feel fulfilled, think more clearly and be creative.

I'm also hoping that I can make some friends along the way. (:

1 comment:

  1. Megan this is so exciting!!! I have a blog too and I LOVE it!!! You will get so much joy out of it (at least I do!). Happy writing!!!

    ReplyDelete